Friday, December 5, 2008

Flashback Friday: 2008 Training Revisited

It is the last month of year, so perhaps a little reflection is in order. This year, I raced at four major distances (5-K, 10-K, half and full marathon) and set PRs for every one of them.

This success is partly the result of my continuing bad-assery. But it is also a result of my bad-ass training, which I, in my continuing bad-assery, devised on the basis of all the bad-ass knowledge I've accrued through my bad-ass running career.

Although I ran 10 races this year (so far), I only had two training plans. The first was to prepare for the Cleveland Half Marathon. The second plan got me ready for the the Kent United Way 10-K (and a make-up attempt to break 50 minutes), the Buckeye Half Marathon, the Akron Marathon and Towpath Marathon.

Granted there have been one or two cockamamie plans for my quest to break 1,000 miles--the current way being four miles a day--but I don't count those because the running involved isn't actually training.

I reviewed the first plan (not to be confused with the FIRST plan) this year and deemed it a success, give or take a few items. The second plan was a direct derivation of the first--only longer. The biggest difference between the two was the addition of consistent track work with Yasso 800s.

The training plan fit my lifestyle well, with three days of running and moderate cross training on the off days. However, the best way to judge the plan is by the race results. My training plan carried me to four PRs, one of which was my 1:49:09 half marathon finish to achieve one of four goals this year.

As for the other three goals, I came within 49 seconds of achieving a sub-50-minute 10-K, I made progress on breaking four hours in the marathon, and if I get my (bad) ass in gear I can reach 1,000 miles for the year.

Overall, my training plan helped me achieve new benchmarks, but came up short of perfect. It needs a few tweaks for next year, but I think the remaining goals are within reach. Grade: B

Mile Tracker 1,000: 108 miles to go.

Back Talk
Wherein something something I know you don't read this shit.

Ohio native has a question about breasts: "How do you figure excuses are like nipples?"

Answer: I figure everyone has at least two.

Glaven has an idea about the thick, disturbing discharge coming from my nose: " My money is on brain-matter. To me 'thick' and 'disturbing' immediately trigger the word-association 'Viper's brain.' The fact that it's coming out your nose just confirms it."

Answer: Do you write for Grey's Anatomy? If you saw the episode last night, then you know what I'm talking about. If you didn't, well, chalk it up to your vast ignorance.

All right, teammates, Happy Hour is nearly upon us. Enjoy the weekend. Run well and drink well.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I liked reading about when you were doing the Yasso 800's. I think that they might have really helped with your times for sure. Nice job on the goals this year!

Ian said...

You've taken to calling your training plan your 'first' plan, all the while accusing me of stealing things from With Leather?

Enjoy the weekend.

X-Country2 said...

Interesting, I suspected you too badass for a plan at all. Guess I was wrong.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

In fact, I've never seen Grey's Anatomy. If this be ignorance, then it is an ignorance I will endeavor to cultivate and encourage to flourish. So if I just been got, I'll never know it.

Which recalls the famous philosophical musing first posed by Søren Kierkegaard - or was it Desperate Housewives? - "If a zinger falls in the woods and there's no one around to catch the crappy pop-cultural reference it's based on ... does it really wound?"

Dr. McDreamy ... meet Prof. McDeep.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your label explains that you are a bad ass, 'cause I wasn't getting the point of your post. Thanks for that explanation.

I still have less miles to 1000 and more beer than you.

Jess said...

Congrats on such a great race year! A 1:49:09 HM is awesome!

Do I get points for being the only nice one around here?

Vava said...

Good luck on the final goal! Nice work on the others - that's a lot of races to run in one year, and it took a full year of sustained effort no matter how you cut it.

Sun Runner said...

I'm most impressed that GQH knows the keyboard shortcut for the "O with the slash through it" than anything else.

Yeah, yeah, your accomplishments, blah blah blah.

Oh, my husband calls you "the guy with the cartoon superhero icon." Should I tell him you're actually the villain? ;)

And you're mistaken, I read every damn word. Every. Damn. Word.

C said...

I disagree with your grading system. Counting your PRs as an additional goal, you're currently rocking 40% with the potential for achieving 60% should you reach 1000 miles for the year. Which, let's face it, ain't gonna happen. So your plan gets a D at best, but more likely an F.

I bet you didn't know you could dislike me more than you already did. You're welcome.

Ms. V. said...

I read every word too. Just waiting for you to be unmasked.

Mmmmm. Loving the word bad-assery. I wonder how I could fit that into a conversation.

Jess said...

Sounds like a solid year to me.

Aileen said...

If I can find a track in Chicago not covered in condoms and needles, I too will try the Yasso 800's. It sounded like they worked pretty well for you!