Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Race Report: Thank the Hills

The Tallmadge Memorial 5-K was Monday. This was my fourth time running it. Each time has been faster than the last. I gained a second in the chute. I've done extra-long reports on this race. Now, here's an extra-short version in haiku:

7:09
Weave with Martini
Fighting the tight crowd down hill
My fastest first mile?

7:33
Hot and humid now
Slog starting to set in now
Big uphill comes now

7:44 (1.1 miles @ 7:02 pace)
Past the last marker
Pass that kid into the chute
A personal best

The Aftermath
This race gave me faith in the hill training I have been focusing on in the last month or so. In fact, I ran 10 miles on Saturday on a portion of the Buckeye Trail, a very hilly and technical out-and-back that left my legs feeling like jelly afterward. Last year, I started track sessions in March. I haven't stepped on the oval of doom yet this year.

My revised goals turned out to be unnecessary. I picked off my top two original goals, but the rest will have to wait until next time. That is, after all, the great thing about running: There's always more to accomplish.

A new feature to this year's race was a separate start for men and women, which I think was done to thin the herd at this growing, small-town race. It worked out well, and it was neat to be able to cheer for most of the women before the start of my race.

The giveaway shirts were a huge upgrade over last year's hideous golden puke-colored technical T-shirts. Instead we got a fairly attractively designed, blue Asics technical tank top, which I will actually wear. Good job, Ritchie's!

I said this was going to be an extra-short report, but here I am prattling on ...

4 comments:

C said...

Congrats on the PR, poet.

drdave said...

Congrats Viper. Nice splits!
Had a X-tri this weekend. DNF because some ass ran me into a tree when he tried to pass me on a single track. Broke my seat post and I didn't feel much like riding the rest of the 14 miles sitting on jagged shrapnel. Call me silly.

Nitmos said...

The hills were alive with the sound of your running, I guess. Congrats. Auf wiedersehen.

Julie @ ROJ Running said...

Awesome job! I can't believe they had tech tanks...I might actually cry that I was injured and didn't go. *sniffle*.