Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Knee Jerk

My knee is a jerk. The long runs are giving me fits. My training plan is so far a success, but I'm still feeling No. 9-ish. (I'd rather be feeling this No. 9.) The two days off gave me time to recover. My hope is that my knee will allow me to perform at the level of which I'm capable.

My pace is not where I'd like it to be. But I expected that, as I've been diligent -- and annoyed -- with maintaining walking breaks. My knee needs the rest. I'm tempted to try the race a la Jeff Galloway's run/walk strategy. I just don't know if I can subdue the race-day adrenaline that urges me to go, go, go.

I think I'll play it by ear as my long runs increase.

A Lungful
The biggest benefit I've noticed about upping my training intensity is my lung capacity. I feel like I can go longer and more importantly recover faster. However it was after playing some hoops (or lack thereof) that I noticed the biggest difference. I was sluggish during Thursday's tempo, but on Saturday I barely felt winded after my long run. That was a good feeling.

Now, if can pair that with a good feeling in my knee, I'd be set.

6 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

There is something about race day that just makes you want to go fast eh!

B. Kramer said...

I think it's the promise of beer at the end. Thanks for stopping by.

Nitmos said...

Avoid #4 and perhaps the knee will come around.

Sun Runner said...

I've been reading your blog for a bit and I think I've officially decided I am a drinker with a running problem. The situation that brought this on was last night's group run at my local running store. After a nice & easy five-miler we all hunkered down at the store (it was closed) and worked our way through two six-packs (one Arcadia IPA and Dark Horse Raspberry Ale) and when that ran out, out came the secret stash of Michelob and Corona and when that ran out it was the leftover bottle of champagne from the store's Christmas party.

This may not sound bad but consider this...there were only four of us.

B. Kramer said...

Nitmos, thank you for diagnosing my problem. I knew I was doing something wrong.

Sarah, that's just fluid replacement. Welcome, you're among fiends.

Sun Runner said...

you're among fiends

Was that a typo...or on purpose? Because, really, one could go with either "friends" or "fiends" in this case. I think "fiends" is more evocative.

Peruse, if you desire, this account of a really good run I had a couple of months ago. What I didn't include was that I had already had three beers before I went out.