Friday, May 10, 2013

Flashback Friday: Finishing Under Par

Maybe this is becoming a regular thing. Maybe pull-ups are addictive. Maybe there's hope.

Another crack at the Sand Run Parcours Trail yesterday resulted in a new personal best for the course this year. This was the third time in two months and the second consecutive week that I've run the exercise trail.

After last week's doughnut trial, my time this go around was 38 seconds faster, which looks even more impressive when you compare the paces of 22:21 vs. 19:10 per mile.

The par course is a few hairs under two miles and features 20 exercise stations, two of which I skip because they're dumb. (Stretching? Pfft! And I don't even know what "Leg and Arm Hop" means.) The course is on the side of a steep hill, so running involves some decent climbs, mostly the second mile. The pull-up station comes early in the second mile, and it's here where I eat up a lot of time standing still.

Pull-ups and chin-ups are one of those great, all-around body exercises, and they're really danged difficult to do. I can do two in a row, but then I need to take breaks between repetitions. So far, I'm up to eight chin-ups and seven pull-ups, and I think I'm hooked.

Awhile ago, I mentioned the possibility of buying a pull-up bar for the house, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The Sand Run Parcours Trail is close and free. Aside from running the complete course, I've also stopped by just to hit up the bar.

It takes me about five minutes to finish my reps, so there's a lot of time I could save by improving my prowess. Overall, the par course is just a kick ass workout. By the time I get to the final exercise station, a three-tiered balance beam, my limbs are wobbly from the effort that I feel like I'm walking the line for a DUI test. Today my legs, arms and chest are pleasantly sore. I gotta get back and do it again.

Back Talk
Wherein we talk about waffles

Miss Zippy, Al and Carolina John want to know: So what did I decide after all the waffling about running the Akron Marathon this year?

Answer: Despite saying I'd wait to make a decision, it looks like the Leave No Trace trail half marathon is in my future. As much as I would like to run the Akron Marathon this year, I don't think I'm ready to climb back onto the marathon horse this year and the concern over my pregnant wife makes this the more responsible choice.

Happy Hour is nearly upon us, teammates! Have a finely brewed weekend. Run well and drink well. Cheers!

No comments: