Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Perfect Pace: I Has It!

Just call me Nick Symmonds. Well, spot me two minutes and then call me Nick Symmonds.

[Drunkard's note: If you haven't seen the video of Nick Symmonds winning the men's 800-meter final at the Olympic Trials (also pictured), I suggest you click on that link posthaste.]

Last night was my weekly visit to the track for some Yasso 800s. The same youth track team was there and getting in my way in typical fashion. But no matter. I nailed my paces despite nearly blowing a quad when I had to sidestep a toddler who was associated with the team and wandered into my lane as I was kicking (kicking ass!) to the finish.

After two and a half years of running, I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of better knowing my pacing. I didn't go out too fast on the first interval. And I knew if I kept the first 400 meters close to (preferably under) two minutes that I would be in good shape.

The first two intervals were way up and down, but then it was an even keel for the final four. And when I asked my legs for more on that final lap, there was still gas in the tank.

6x800s (Goal pace: 3:38.3-3:48.5)
  1. 3:48.5 -- right on the edge
  2. 3:39
  3. 3:45
  4. 3:42
  5. 3:43
  6. 3:40 -- see toddler

Just imagine if I had plowed over that youngster on that final interval. There's always next time.

By the way, Marcy, if you want to hate me more, I lost another few pounds after this run. But don't worry, I filled the void with a mess of chicken wings and half a gallon of Labatt Blue.

Cheers!

10 comments:

Marcy said...

Why didn't you just plow the kid over? Kids are resilient, well at least that's what I tell myself :P

Have your fill for me, seeing as my ass could do without it :-X

Ian said...

Great job on the 800s. Just start hurdling the toddler's on the track.

Nitmos said...

A toddler on a track makes wonder resistance training.

Aileen said...

I'm all about the chicken wings...but Labatt? Where was Jamesons?

Aileen said...

Yay! Thanks! Wait...you went to Kent?! And saw "Working"? Or were in it? The plot thickens...

C said...

Perhaps you should develop a points system. One point for every kid you run over, five for every coach you punch in the throat. It could help liven up the repeats should they ever get dull.

chia said...

Toddler = Punt-able. Go for distance ;-).

Aileen said...

The internet is a very small world indeed.

Laura said...

I need to find a track near me. Not just because I want to do speedwork, but because Xenia's game sounds like fun. Also, it sounds like it could be turned into a drinking game somehow...

the erratic epicurean said...

i certainly support mowing down children in the name of sport.