Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tagged? Curses!

Sorry, Ted, I don't play tag. I'm a spoil-sport, I know.

The Viper took a mental health day yesterday, but no running. I had enough Saturday with a 14-miler that kicked my ass. Maybe I should have gone out earlier than 2 p.m. when it was in the high 80s and humid as all get-out. Maybe I should have run where there were more water fountains. The last 5 miles were killer, slowing my pace significantly (ended with 12:22 average--ick!) and forcing me to walk for much longer than I had planned. Chalk this one up to heat acclimation.

The Summer Solstice Challenge is just 11 days away, and the anxiety is building. Do I have enough base to make it that far? Will the heat destroy me? Will I be conscious enough to know if I need to call it quits? I can't wait to find out!

All right, all right, all right! I'll play tag. But I'm not tagging anyone else!

1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago?

Nil. I was smoking about a pack a day of non-filtered Pall Malls or Native American Spirits and working a factory job where my shift was 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday through Sunday, to save up money for a month-long, cross-country road trip. About the only exercise I got was playing Frisbee occasionally.

2. What is your best and worst run/race experience?

Worst. Best (for shear accomplishment).

3. Why do you run?

It keeps me fit and out of jail.

4. What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?

Best: Listen to your body.

Worst: Any advice regarding foot-strike. It's distracting and I think ultimately damaging to try to force yourself to change what is natural.

5. Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.

I drive a 2005 Hyundai Accent.

10 comments:

Ian said...

Hyundai Accent/Toyota Prius, Tomay-to/Tomah-to!

I bet you're wishing it was a Prius right about now though, don't those things get 40mpg?

B. Kramer said...

Well, your Tomah-to is about $14,000 more than my Tomay-to for only 6 mpg more. Stick that in your extract, Vanilla!

Laura said...

The mystery is solved! At last, I can sleep at night.

Marcy said...

Anything that keeps you outta jail is a plus LOL

chia said...

I love me some Hyundai, my '04 Accent was the bomb diggity with the "Got Kitty" sticker in the back window and fake bullethole through Hello Kitty's head. I'm now in an '05 Toyota lol. 'nuf said.


Ahh... the reckless days of 2004. *sigh* so long ago :-P

C said...

With all the crazy hot and humid weather going on in the states, I can't believe you're still going to do the Summer Solstice challenge. Well, actually, I can, I just wish it was being televised. I love me some schaedenfraude.

Razz said...

I drive an '02 Excursion and my wife drives an H1 Hummer. That's about the same, isn't it?

Razz said...

I drive an '02 Excursion and my wife drives an H1 Hummer. That's about the same, isn't it?

B. Kramer said...

Xenia: schaedenwhat!? Please mind your language when you're on my site. Think of the children, the poor drunk children.

Razz: your vehicles consume so many resources that you even have to post twice the comments?

Nitmos said...

I agree on the foot strike comment. It plays with your head (or feet).

Figures you drive a Hyundai.