Friday, July 19, 2013

Flashback Friday: Don't Forget to Breathe

Tell me if you've heard this one before. Inhale, "Hrk!" One, two, exhale. Rest. Inhale, "Ah-grr-ung!" One, two, exhale. Rest. Repeat. Does that sound familiar to anyone? This what it sounds like when I'm logging reps at my new pull-up bar. I forget to breathe during the actual work part of the workout.

After about five pull-ups and feeling like my head was going to explode, I thought maybe I should try breathing while I'm doing this. What a novel idea! Have you ever heard of such a thing? Believe you me, it helps.

Now, I'm back up to 10 pull-ups, going by two for the first four to six reps and then one at a time with rests in between. Then, it's as many chin-ups as possible (in this case five). Once I started breathing, it was much easier. So, remember to inhale and exhale oxygen as you exercise, teammates. The more you know!

Corollaries
OK, so I only had a cookie and part of a candy apple on Wednesday in terms of my struggle to eat less sugar. Considering dessert has been a semi-daily occurrence in recent months, this was an improvement. Also considering our evil office manager stocked up on mini candy bars, red licorice, M&M's and Mike & Ikes, I'd say my will power is improving as well. My reward? Minus four pounds on the scale of suckage.

Another Scorcher
What is this, Houston? We have another heat advisory today, wherein the heat and humidity are getting it on in the backseat of summer's sedan, sticking to the leather upholstery and steaming up the windows. Somebody's going to pass out if this keeps up. That means I'll be stinking out my coworkers after my lunchtime walk. Maybe I should start bringing some deodorant to work ...

Back Talk
Wherein we weigh the moral issues of the day 

Miss Zippy chimes in about poaching water: "[My] club puts out jugs at three stops each week during our [Saturday] runs. People definitely poach from them and I don't get too worked up over it."

Answer: What if I took the jugs and sold them on the black market?

Happy Hour is nearly upon us, teammates! Have a finely brewed weekend. Run well and drink well.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems I have been taking a little bit of Houston with me this summer to quite a few locations, although Akron is not one of them.