Monday, August 13, 2012

Saw Batman Instead

Finally, the temperature dropped this weekend. We turned off the air conditioning and opened the windows to let in some fresh air.

A run would have been quite pleasant in this weather, but alas better fish were fried.

Saturday, the wife and I ventured to my hometown for a beer festival at a local beer and wine shop. They had several exclusive beers on tap and a trendy food truck parked outside so we had something to soak up the alcohol instead of us getting too snookered.

We opted for full pints, so we didn't try as many of the beers as we could have if we had done taster flights. Instead, we stuck to the more exclusive offerings.

They had two special beers from Great Lakes Brewing: a cask-aged Edmund Fitzgerald (Porter) and a dry-hopped onsite Lake Erie Monster (IPA). They were delicious.

We also got a bourbon barrel-aged Gonzo (Imperial Stout) from Flying Dog and the maple-flavored Curmudgeon Old Ale from Founder's.

Quite frankly, those last two were a bit much. Both were 9 percent ABV or higher. The bourbon flavor of the Gonzo was a little too prevalent for me, and I think my palate was all used up by the time we got the Curmudgeon. We ended up giving the majority of our glass to the couple sitting next to us who contemplated ordering it.

We walked off the effects of our beer tasting by strolling to a local coffee roaster, Bent Tree. Highly recommended.

Sunday, the wife worked and originally I had ideas of running. Instead, I chose to see The Dark Knight Rises. In light of recent events (this and this), I entered the theater with a sense of anxiety.

Is it wrong that I feel this bit of fear heightened my movie-going experience? In one scene, I jumped out of my seat at the sound of gunfire. The terrorism in the movie seemed much more heinous.

The movie was more of action movie than its more cerebral predecessors, but it was a satisfying end to a great trilogy. While Tim Burton's Batman will always hold a special place in my heart, the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight run is now the standard for the character on film.

3 comments:

Jess said...

I agree about Batman. In and of itself, the last one was good, but you can't help but compare it to the other two, and with that comparison it was a bit lacking. The 2nd one is the best, in my opinion. Just can't beat Ledger's Joker.

B. Kramer said...

I think most people will say the second was the best. Batman Begins has grown a lot on me after multiple viewings, and I'm not ready to declare a loser. It certainly wasn't a Godfather 3.

Carolina John said...

So the curmudgeon turned you into a curmudgeon? That must have been pleasant. but the Lake Erie Monster sounds delish.