Friday, March 2, 2012

Flashback Friday:Two Months Earlier

It's always a good feeling when the yearly mileage counter ticks over to triple digits, and that milestone came two months earlier than in the marriage-shortened 2011. Yes, last night's three-miler pushed me up to 103 miles.

Had my previous run not been so short, I might have achieved this feat last month, but alas it was not to be, as the run left me a few tenths of a mile short of 100 miles.

Last year, my 100th mile was run in bare feet. While we've had a mild winter, it has not been mild enough for me to brave a barefoot run just yet.

After my run, I completed a trifecta of strength exercises, with 20-pound dumbbell curls (four sets, 10 reps each), bicycle-kick sit-ups (four sets, 30 reps), and push-ups (three sets, 10 reps). I had gotten away from my post-run strength routine, having added a longer core workout on an off-running day the last couple weeks, and it felt good to get back to it.

This weekend's running plans call for a six-miler and another three-miler, with the longer run will likely being done on trails, perhaps on the same course as last weekend's mud skiing venue. I'll have to get out there early with a busy weekend ahead, as the Mrs. and I will be celebrating the Leap Day marriage of our good friend and matchmaker, Gin.

Back Talk
Wherein it's not you, it's me

BrianFlash brings up a good possibility about those regular runners: "I always thought the runners around here were completely non-friendly. It is rare that I get a return wave. I realized it was me when I ran with my wife a few months ago. Everyone acknowledged her greetings..."

Answer: Considering my default face is also my mean face, you might be right.

Carolina John suggests there might be another app for that: "The MapMyRun app is pretty popular. It can drain the battery pretty fast though, esp if you ever decide to go for a long bike ride."

Answer: While I would probably not go on a long bike ride, I do doubt my phone's ability to make it through a long run over two hours. I just assume that's the drawback of using the GPS feature. Am I wrong?

Happy Hour is nearly upon us, teammates! Have a finely brewed weekend. Run well and drink well. Cheers!

4 comments:

B.o.B. said...

aw, you should work on your non-mean face while running. you might look crazy but at least you'll get some waves. maybe. lol!

congrats on the big mileage.

Carolina John said...

You're right. The battery will typically go dead between 1.5 to 3 hours. But all i hear from my friends is that they went out for a 5 hour ride and it died about halfway through. I don't claim to have smart friends.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Awesome job on the mileage!

misszippy said...

Have fun with both the run and the socializing this weekend. Keep those miles coming!