Monday, February 27, 2012

Mud Skiing

It's like the Muddy Olympics around here. We have moved from mud skating to the one-footed downhill mud slalom.

Running yesterday on what they call the Cross Country Trail in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, I gave up on finding the driest path through the mud and just started bombing through the wet terrain.

In a "what goes up must come down" scenario, after starting the run with a long, very long uphill, I encountered an equally long descent and let gravity take me down into the grassy valley.

Midway down, my foot planted and slid what felt like a couple yards and then the other foot did the same. Again, my preternatural sense of balance saved me from a tumble. I'm really tempting fate, here.

The run finished at just over 10 kilometers, at a pace of 11:17, for a total time of 1:10:48 -- my first run over an hour since last year.

Add Saturday's three-miler around the neighborhood, and I met my goals for the week.

As for this week's plans, it's a mirror of last week, with four runs and a total of 15 miles, one run being a six-miler and at least one trail run. On top of that, I'm planning to complete my strength routine tonight.

My Xenia-sponsored Monday Morning Weigh-in was 175.3 pounds, which is down from last Monday (176.6). As suggested, I'm going to dial back all the weight talk.

All right, teammates, let's make it a good week. Cheers!

2 comments:

misszippy said...

Running in the mud, while challenging, is so much fun. I did 30k of my 20-miler a couple of weeks ago by doing 3 10k loops on a very muddy trail. It took us forever to do each loop, but we laughed all the way. Nice work!

BrianFlash said...

No more fat talk?! How am I going to feel good about myself if I don't read about you suffering with extra poundage?