Monday, January 9, 2012

Finding a Groove

Despite needing to run four consecutive days, my first week of 2012 was a running success. My pre-training plan called for four runs and a total of 12 miles. After yesterday's three-miler around the neighborhood, I've now surpassed my total mileage for all of December.

On top of reaching my mileage goal, I even showed some signs of getting faster, breaking the 10-minute mile pace for the first time in what seems like ages.

However, this morning's weigh-in showed only a slight improvement from this year's starting heft. In time, though, I know that will start to edge down. It seems I lose weight with three steps forward and then two steps back.

Saturday, I returned to trails for a muddy three-miler along the Mingo Trail at Sand Run. I only had to walk two uphills, but I got passed several times, twice by the same guy. My goal until the daylight returns is to get at least one trail run per week.

This week's goals mirror last week, with four runs for 12 miles. This is the habit-forming phase of my pre-training plan to get myself back into the routine of running. By the end of the month, I'll start building base mileage.

2 comments:

Al's CL Reviews said...

Consistency is key. But you know that.

Congrats on a good first week!

Anonymous said...

Pre-training Training = Brilliant!