Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Secret Extra Effort

The Enthusiast begged and pleaded for us to delay our run last night until this morning. She was exhausted from work and didn't want to face the rough running conditions. After a hemming and hawing session, I agreed.

The snow started falling like crazy at about 2 p.m. yesterday and still hasn't stopped. If you want my opinion, it would have been easier to run last night, but I understand her reasoning for the postponement.

We got up before 6 a.m. to get ready and were out the door by 6:30. (Not being a morning person, I move like a three-toed sloth when forced to awaken that early.) The early part of our run was surprisingly easy, as someone had kindly snowblowered a long stretch of sidewalk that morning and the night before. After that first mile, however, the snow deepened.

We got between four and six inches of snow last night, with a couple more on the way. The Enthusiast at one point told me she felt sick, like she might throw up. I wondered if she wasn't sick, but rather nearing the Puke Threshold because of the extra effort needed to run in the slippery conditions.

Snow is tricky that way. You think, 'Oh, it's not so bad,' but then your legs start burning from exhaustion and it takes you twice as long to go half as far. Running in the snow is tough. Your feet slip and you end up working much harder to move forward and stay upright. The good news is that it also makes you stronger.

First run of the Enthusiast's training plan is crossed off. We're on our way. Cheers!

8 comments:

BrianFlash said...

Nice effort to force yourselves out the door!

If I didn't have a treadmill, I don't think I'd get a mile in during the week. I have a hard time facing the cold and the dark together...

misszippy said...

Is snowblowered a word?

Running in snow is like running in sand--recruits all kinds of different muscles, which as you said, makes you stronger.

Jess said...

That's tough running! But I'm sure it's difficulties also have their rewards for later when you don't have to run in 6 inches of snow!

Nitmos said...

Soon you won't be allowed an opinion so get them in while you can.

Anonymous said...

And you are a better man and woman because of it.

Fifty K said...

First of good job for getting up early! Second, great job for doing it! I went to the CVNP today and thought I could run a few miles and was sadly mistaken. Some parts had two feet of snow already!

Ironman By Thirty said...

Good to see you are already listening to The Enthusiast. It will be less of a shock to the system when it is finally official.

I'm not a morning person either and was up at 5:15 this morning so I know your pain.

Robin said...

Props to you and the Enthusiast for getting out there! Brrrr!