Tuesday, January 11, 2011

On Again, Off Again

The Enthusiast and I traveled to a neighboring state and fell off the wagon. The important aspects of our diet while on this two-week cleanse were to avoid dairy, meat, sugar and booze. Fail, fail, fail and fail.

We had done well the week prior to Friday and both of us had lost some weight as a result, but we knew that it would be difficult to follow through on the road. We decided to shelve the cleanse diet for two days and return to it as soon as we were back home. The result was some good fun, but some unpleasant bowel experiences.

Sunday, we returned to form and will continue the cleanse until Saturday. In the meantime, the Enthusiast begins training for the Cleveland Half Marathon this week. I put the finishing touches on her running schedule and posted it on our refrigerator.

Although we slacked on the running last week, we get started tonight with an easy three-miler. The weather has decided to cooperate by remaining bitterly cold and severe. By overcoming these early challenges, the race itself should be a breeze.

I hope having a plan in hand will be the final motivational push I need to get back into a good running routine. But as grandma always said, "Hope in one hand and shit in the other, and see which one gets filled first."

5 comments:

The Sean said...

Personally, I stopped listening to my Grandma after the first time I shit in my hand...

TNTcoach Ken said...

When are bowel experiences pleasant?????

Jess said...

So, you're just existing on veggies and water? Blech, no wonder you fell off the wagon! I would've never gotten on ;)

Anonymous said...

I personally go the "moderation" route - then there's no wagon to fall off of.

MCM Mama said...

I like Jamoosh's theory. I plan my beers since I'm realistic enough to realize I won't give them up.