Monday, May 3, 2010

Don't Bet on Me

On Saturday, at a race that wasn't delayed for a possible bomb (but I hear the pasta was defused), there was a certain racer whose name resonated with certain readers like Ms. V.

Backtalk, obviously named for my weekly Flashback Friday section, had 50-1 odds of winning the Kentucky Derby. "I bet on him," Ms. V. said.

Poor choice.

Backtalk finished dead last. The thoroughbred's best finish was third, which is where I finished in the recently rigged Last Mile Brewing Popularity Contest Virtual Halfathon. We share a similar racing pedigree.

Boy, April didn't offer much to be proud of in terms of running. Here is last month's statistical rundown:
  • Total Miles: 40 miles (10 runs)
  • Highest Weekly: 21 miles
  • Average Weekly: 9.3 miles
  • Average Pace: 10:42.84 per mile
  • Longest/Fastest Run: 6 miles, 10:09 pace
  • The Monthly Dif: -17 miles (57 miles in March)
Fewer miles, slower miles. But the last week was much better than the middle weeks of the month when I fell into a funk.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The good news is that you had a negative split!

misszippy said...

Third is still on the podium!

Jess said...

We all have rough months. Don't worry too much about the stats, just bust out of that funk and get back to it!

drdave said...

Well you have two more runs in April than I did. I am blaming it on the weather (easy to do in Michigan) because we all know that I am not a couch sloth. I did get 6 bike rides in though.
May is crunch time. Gotta hit the water. Brrrrr!

Ms. V. said...

maybe if you had run more BACKTALK would have won? ...kidding ....i had a dodgers month too

sucks to be last, poor horse.