I knew after my second interval that eight would not be in the cards, so I mentally trimmed the workout to six repeats instead. Too used to 800-meter intervals, I had trouble pacing myself for these 400s at a goal pace of 6:55-7:20 per mile (1:43-1:49 per 400 meters). After my fourth repeat, my 400-meter self caught up to my 800-meter self, handed him his ass and walked off the track.
Here is the statistical rundown:
8 64 x 400 meters
- Goal pace: 6:55-7:20 per mile
- Lap 1: 1:30.77 (6:02 per mile) FAIL
- Lap 2: 1:39.56 (6:38 per mile) FAIL
- Lap 3: 1:44.29 (6:58 per mile)
- Lap 4: 1:42.59 (6:50 per mile) FAIL
- Average pace: 6:38 per mile
- Total distance: 3.7 miles
The good news, which will disappoint many of you, is that I remain uninjured. Yeah, I know. I'm sorry to spoil your fun. Maybe I'll try again this weekend.