Monday, May 12, 2008

Bullety MonDaze

Thanks to everyone who stopped by in honor of my one-year anniversary. I hope you enjoyed the flashbacks. To celebrate the occasion Team BHI got off the wagon and ignored the pre-race detox plan like a good little drunk. As punishment, my 8 miles on Sunday were hungover and in the rain.

I'm not feeling cohesive today, so you'll have to deal with my list mentality. Let the bullets fly:
  • OK, seriously, what do you think of this new layout? Xenia says it's more cheerful than she imagines I am, which admittedly is a valid point. I only picked it because it's called "Snapshot Tequila." For some reason it spoke to me. Give me your thoughts, now!
  • All this tapering makes me want to punch babies.
  • The Viper is a cheapskate conscientious shopper. Today, I ordered a new pair of shoes, two tech shirts and a pair of shorts for less than $90 from Joe's New Balance Outlet. There you will find some choice prices on last year's inventory. (Vanilla, I think even you'll find something compelling.)
  • Decisions, decisions ... speaking of shoes, I don't know which shoes to wear during the Cleveland Half Marathon. I've only raced in New Balance, but last year I got a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 7 (for free!) after the Akron Marathon. The Brooks have proven to be a worthy alternate. Do I stay in my comfort zone and wear my New Balance 767s or do I go all variety-is-the-spice-of-life and wear the Brooks?
  • Does the above point make me a shill?
  • I was half a pound heavier than my goal race weight at this morning's weigh-in. Without my high mileage, I have to be extra disciplined about my food and booze intake this week.
  • The Cavs play the Celtics tonight in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals. That won't encourage me to drink or anything.
  • Can anyone say "liquid diet"?
  • It seems a bunch of people raced this weekend. (I see Amy and Chia and Laminator and Laura and Marcy and Nitmos and Razzdoodle and Topher and Vanilla and Xenia. And probably about a zillion others I'm too lazy to find.) Many of you took part in Nancy's 10K on the 10th, another stellar virtual event. I'm tapering, so the 10th was a rest day. I did 8 miles on the 9th and 8 miles on the 11th instead. Besides, I heard no beer was provided. No beer = no Viper. But great job, virtual racers! You're all virtual winners!
  • On a completely non-running, non-boozing note: As most of you dear readers are also fellow bloggers, I figure you must have some interest -- if only a fleeting one -- in writing mechanics. Renowned writing coach Roy Peter Clark of the Poynter Institute has begun a new book called the "The Glamour of Grammar" as a follow-up to "Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer." I'm not afraid to admit I've had a man-crush on Mr. Clark since my college days. Visit his Writing Tools blog on Tuesdays and Thursdays to read segments of the new book as he writes them.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your new page set-up makes me think that I am looking at a college web site. Very calming and relaxing, not necessarily vomiting rainbows happy but seems a little to much for your topics (I get the feeling more of someone sitting a a dark bar typing away after a long run needing to carb-up; and when you leave the stool there is a butt sweat silhouette left on the stool) You know a little nitty-gritty. Oh and tapering makes me want to kick kittens and be mean to old ladies. Keep up the boozin. I'll kepp up the reading.

Ian said...

I have to agree that I preferred the darker colors on your blog. It somehow seemed more appropriate. This new look makes me think of a slice of lime in a Corona Light, and their tropical commercials. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that running skirt but it totally clashes with my running shoes, a major fashion faux pas.

Sun Runner said...

My half marathon is this coming Sunday as well. So when are you/we REALLY going to stop drinking?

Myself, I'm fully planning on having my usual post-work relaxation cocktail(s) when I get home tonight. I might as well, because circumstances will prevent me from doing so both tomorrow and Wednesday nights. See? I don't really have a problem...I can forget the booze for a couple of days when I need to...I think I can...I think I can...ARRRRRRGH!

C said...

Blogger obviously knows nothing about tequila.

I did a quick run-through of Blogger templates (I am so procrastinating!!) and I think 'Minima', 'Mr. Moto' and possibly 'Thisaway Green' templates have potential for you. I think if you fiddle with the color schemes and maybe use a picture like this:

http://www.mdhb.com/images/beerbottles.jpg

then it might work.

Back to not working...

Unknown said...

This is cracking me up! Not a bad layout. It has a nice margarita flavor to it.
Viper - I find it hard to believe you are not going to eat or drink especially the big game tonight. The CAVS were quite explosive last Saturday and I do hope they repeat it tonight. You ought to run down to the store and get the "whatamacallitburger" beer!

audgepodge said...

Just stumbled onto your blog - good luck in the Cleveland Half Marathon! That's my hometown so I'd like to do that race next year. The medal with the spinning guitar looks cool!

Kevin said...

Found your blog because Absolut(ly) fit told me about it. She mixes running and exercise, I mix running and exercise (hence the name of my blog, 5ksandcabernets) and so do you. i'll be dropping by often. Never knew what your old blog loooked like, but this looks cool.

B. Kramer said...

Welcome, new teammates! And thank you all for your comments about my tequila flavored layout. As soon as my eyes stop seeing double, I'll look into other options.

chia said...

Your blog matches my sweater.

Creepy.

Good luck at the HM and try to refrain from bludgeoning any unsuspecting infants. Members of the Jackson family and anyone named "Brittany" are morally acceptable choices for defusal of taper-madness.