Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Beer Improves Concentrationability

I'm not afraid to admit when I've been scooped. But this new study from Granada University in Spain* just confirms what I've been saying all along: Beer is good after a run. So, let's just say, I told you so.

The study pitted two groups against each other, boozers vs. non-boozers. Both groups were slaughtered on a treadmill and then hydrated, the boozers with Spanish lager and the non-boozers with only water. Those served beer achieved better hydration (duh!).
"[Professor Manuel Garzon, of Granada's medical faculty] believes the carbon dioxide in beer helps quench the thirst more quickly, while beer's carbohydrates replace calories lost during physical exertion.
"Based on the studies, the researchers have recommended moderate consumption of beer - 500 ml a day for men or 250 ml for women - as part of an athlete's diet."
Damn, did you read what I read? The researchers recommend 500 ml of beer as part of my diet. In metric, "ml" is mega liters, right? I'm on it!
I don't think I've ever had Spanish Lager. Looks like I have some lab tests of my own to do.


Please support the Campaign for Real Ale. They are a leader in promoting the health benefits of beer.

Remember, alcohol reduces swelling, relieves pain and improves confidence. Run well. Drink well.

[Drunkard note: this news was too important to leave for tomorrow's post, so don't go expecting two posts a day. In fact, you may want to prepare for no post tomorrow.]

[*Correction: this post originally described this study as coming from Grenada, as in the country. Who am I kidding? They don't have money for scientific research. It was Granada University in Spain, thus Spanish Lager ... it's all coming together.]

No comments: