Friday, October 26, 2007

Flashback Friday

There's something very wrong with this weekend. There are the typical Halloween celebrations. Autumn gray has blanketed the sky. And I will have to wear a little extra when I go out for my run this weekend. But something isn't right.

The final Saturday in October has always marked one other significant feature. When the streets have been packed with fools dressed in garish garb, there has always been the ulterior motive of drink. This weekend was always when we turned back the clocks for one more hour of drinking at the pub. But no, not this year.

For some inane reason, the powers that be have decided to morph the space-time continuum and push Daylight Savings Time back a week. Sure, we'll get that extra hour next week, but without the Halloween vibe it just doesn't seem as notable.

However, there is still one item this weekend that is still on tap. The Halloween partying weekend has also typically been the launch date of Great Lakes Christmas Ale, a 7.5 percent ABV that has knocked me on my ass many a night -- and day. It's so intoxicating that if you drink past your limit, you will get your hangover mid sip. It's blackout fuel, I tell you! Last year, dressed as Ritchie Tenenbaum, my cohort and I killed two pitchers and ... I don't remember the rest of the story.

Happy Halloween. Run well. Drink well.

No comments: