Friday, November 8, 2013

Flashback Friday: Late Edition

Today's lunchtime walk included spurts of running, three of them, in fact. This is going to hurt tomorrow, isn't it? Having not run since who knows when, my legs aren't used to anything more strenuous than a brisk stroll. Running became necessary when I had passed the point of no return and was in danger of returning to work much later than allowed.

Typically, my walking pace is a little more than 3 mph. There I was, on a three-mile route with only 45 minutes to spare. It seemed like I was making great time when I had gotten to a mile in about 17 minutes, so I decided to extend my walk. After 10 more minutes, I knew I had made a mistake and started running, SLOWLY.

Luckily, I had decided to wear my Merrell Road Gloves to work today, but jeans, a hoodie and light coat don't make for great running gear. After my third running surge, I was starting to sweat through my undershirt, which made me itchy, which made me want to claw my chest off. I took off my coat and let the cool autumn air cool me down.

All told, it couldn't have been more than three-quarters of a mile that I ran, but it was enough to get the heart going and probably enough to make me sore tomorrow because that's what happens when you decide to run after not doing so for, what, like a month or more? TGIF, I guess.

In the middle of all that, I thought about trying out the running stroller this weekend. With the chilly winds, though, I'm worried I'll give Baby Viper frostbite. So, fellow parents with cold-weather knowledge, how should I dress my kid for riding in the stroller in low temperatures? Drop your knowledge in the comments.

Happy Hour is nearly upon us, teammates! Run well and drink well. Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, couldn't you have turned this into a three-part post?

B. Kramer said...

I did make note of every step of those three bursts of running. It could have been an epic recap to rival your middling race reports.