Friday, January 13, 2012

Flashback Friday: True Test of Will

No matter how nice the weather has been in Northeast Ohio so far this winter, there's no way in hell it's not going to get terribly cold and snowy before too long.

This morning, I woke up to a fresh layer of snow (after solid rain for the past two days) and temperatures in the teens. Winter will bugger us sooner or later. That is a fact. There are no mild winters on the North Coast.

My running has remained strong. I've completed all my scheduled runs so far this week, fitting in a rainy run last night before the temperatures dropped 25 degrees in the span of a few hours. My pre-training plan has two runs slated for this weekend.

The weather forecast shows more snow Saturday and highs in the mid-20s for both days. These conditions test the wills of any outdoor enthusiast. You have to want it enough to be outside this time of year, and that's precisely why I started running six years ago. Bring it on.

Back Talk
Wherein deride the unpopularity of our favorite events

Jess agrees that I should take advantage of my racing opportunities: "I too feel like the 10K is a neglected road race. I think the HM blew up in popularity the past 10 years, so races that used to be 10ks transformed themselves into HMs. Too bad. I like a good 10k!"

Answer: The middle distances are sorely lacking. Around me, the 10-kilometer races have become 5-kilometer events. It seems there is nothing between 5-kilometers and a half marathon. I call shenanigans on that.

Happy Hour is nearly upon us, teammates! Have a finely brewed weekend. Run well and drink well. Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snow-shoeing. I hear that's where it's at.

Ironman By Thirty said...

Snow-shoeing? Maybe you can become a minimalist snow-shoer. Also known as just running in the snow.