Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Near the Tipping Point

In the last couple weeks, I've rambled on about my dissatisfaction with my current shoe rotation, the Vibram KSOs and New Balance MT101s. While these shoes are OK, they don't make me excited about getting out for a run. What's more, these two minimal-ish shoes still aren't as comfortable as my old, stinky-to-high-heaven Brooks T6 Racers.

I've also not been running as far as I should be for my Akron Marathon training. A serious dose of demotivation and the compiled effects of minimalized mileage during the winter have set me back to the point that I still haven't completed a double-digit long run, although I have run some tough eight-milers on trails that have been similar in effort to longer flat runs. (Or so I tell myself.)

Furthermore, barefoot running has continued to evolve into a primary interest. Although I have preferred to run mostly on trails, where I don't have the skills to go with bare feet or patience to learn said skills, I still am forced to run around the neighborhood on occasion. These urban runs are just so much more enjoyable without shoes -- except for when I burn my soles on hot pavement.

All this is pointing me toward a whole-hog changeover to barefoot running. I figure if I'm not running as far or fast as I have in past years at this point in the year, I might as well test my limits in other ways. Why not, right?

Another run on the par course earlier this week -- done barefoot -- alerted me that I will still require shoes at times. However, smart planning will allow me limit those occasions and expand my tolerance for tough terrain.

Those of you who remember the hippy shoes will be happy to know that they will be making a return to this blog. As for my other shoes, consider them on hiatus after tonight, when I go for my last shod run and begin a barefoot streak. Wish me luck, or stay tuned for my hilarious failure. Cheers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, if you ran early in the morning, hot pavement would not be an issue...

Carolina John said...

Sounds like a turning point allright. We always have to keep it new fresh and challenging to stay interesting. Good call.

David said...

With all the scratch you're pulling from the intrusive and offensive Rock Creek ad, you should be able to go to their store and buy professionally manufactured hippy (hippie?)shoes.

Junk Miler said...

I of course support this venture.

Nitmos said...

I'm popping popcorn now and ready to read more. Staying tuned...