Thursday, December 23, 2010

Matching My Worst

My three-miler last night ensured that I wouldn't mark a new low monthly mileage. At worst, I'll match October's 10 miles. However, the cold weather is making even the shortest runs a challenging feat for my poor feet. 

My street is one of those side roads that the snowplows ignore. My Vibrams conduct the cold quite well. Starting off my run with a long stretch on packed ice slush makes for numb feet. It takes at least a mile before the friction warms them up, but for some reason my left foot takes longer. Throughout last night's run, my left toes were frozen senseless. And as I read somewhere, a numb foot is a dumb foot. 

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't time to add a little more material under my foot and wear my Brooks T6 Racers again. The problem with those is that they smell awful. I need to stick them in the washer to defunktify a year's worth of sockless running. 

When I have bare pavement or asphalt underfoot, my Vibrams are fine for this weather. Running on a blanket of snow, however, isn't a fun experience with nothing but a thin layer of rubber and a silly pair toe socks to protect me from frostbite. 

At any rate, it was good to get out and exercise. I even added some dumbbell curls and sit-ups to my routine to help stave off the holiday chub. I also abstained from the candy dish and cookies for the first day in who knows how long. Will power, I has it! 

2 comments:

Nitmos said...

I completely indulge in every cookie and candy dish available (and some that aren't) until Jan. 2nd with no guilt whatsoever. Two weeks out the year won't kill me.

Merry Christmas!

Junk Miler said...

Do you still have those cheapo aqua socks? You might like them better with a pair of nice wool socks for cold running. For wet weather (snow), I like my Gortex socks.

And don't forget to wear extra clothing when the feet aren't bundled up - gloves and a hat do a good job of warming the feet, oddly enough.