Thursday, February 24, 2011

New Brew: Greenflash Barley Wine Style Ale

Seems like forever since I've posted a beer review. Must have been all that home brew, taking away my drinking time.

This week some friends were getting together for some pizza and beverages, but considering that payday isn't until next week, I was on a tight budget of $7 (plus Ohio sin tax). Pretty much all six-packs were out, as my best options were Molson or similar macro-brews -- not that there's anything wrong with that. But I wanted something different. And much, much stronger.

This led me to the top shelf of my local grocer's beer aisle, which is populated with all manner of 750-milliliter bottles from various craft brewers. I chose the Barleywine Style Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co. (San Diego), a 10.9 percent ABV American-style barleywine that packs a lot of hop. Priced nice at $5.99 and well within my budget after tax.

Green Flash Brewing was a new selection at my grocer, and I was leery of picking a barleywine, as I tend to find them too sweet for my palate. But the only other varieties available were the Double Stout (not in the mood) and Grand Cru, a Belgian strong ale (over budget).

The Green Flash Barleywine pours a dark amber with a thick frothy head. Although the brewery's website describes this beer as having an intense caramel malt flavor, its high hop content balances the sweetness. I was almost shocked by the hoppiness, as I haven't tasted many barleywines that weren't syrupy sweet.

The hoppy bitterness was very refreshing. However, the high alcohol content is very apparent. I have to admit to being a bit loopy after finishing the bottle.

Although I enjoyed drinking this brew, I think it would taste much better after cellaring. Next time, I plan to try the Grand Cru, but I also might grab another Barleywine for aging.

Drink well, teammates!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to look for that one. Aging a Barleywine is a good call. If it doesn't have the year on it, I would write it on the side (in the event you plan on cellaring the same beer from different years).

Nitmos said...

But...is it better than Pabst?

Barefoot Johnny O said...

It's hard to beat Yinpu at 2.99 a six?

Running Through Phoenix said...

My dad's fridge beer. Free!!!!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Not a fan of BW's in general.

gin hall said...

Melt up in Clevo has the Grand cru and the West Coast IPA- Both quite tasty!

BrianFlash said...

The Grand Cru is lovely. But my Belgian beer bias is showing - I haven't found a Belgian beer yet that I didn't like a lot!