Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Enter Sock Season

So much for the unseasonably nice weather. December ended Ohio's snowless streak at 251 days, the second longest snow drought in state history. To me, snow is way better to run in than rain, but snow also means it's time for me to put on some socks.

I stopped wearing socks regularly about two years ago. I'm sort of an inside-out convert to minimalist and barefoot running: first the socks, then the shoes. But every winter, I'm forced to protect myself from frostbite with an extra layer beneath the breathable mesh of my running footwear.

I've been running in my Vibram FiveFingers KSOs exclusively, though infrequently (truly minimalist running), since I got them last month. I quickly learned that I would eventually need some insulation from the cold, which led to an experiment with some scissors and a pair of tube socks. The modified socks kept my feet warm, but were lacking in the comfort department.

Today, I bit the bullet. While shopping for some holiday gifts online, I threw in a pair of ridiculous toe socks for myself to increase the cost of my order to the amount needed to qualify for free shipping. Never mind that paying for shipping would have been cheaper than adding a pair of $10 socks. 'Tis the season, right?

Goodbye, nice weather. Goodbye, sockless running. Goodbye, November. Here is last month's statistical rundown:
  • Total Miles: 33 miles (nine runs)
  • Highest Weekly: 10 miles
  • Average Weekly: 8.25 miles
  • Average Pace: N/A (no watch used)
  • Longest/Fastest Run: ~6 miles @ ~11:00 pace
  • The Monthly Dif: +23 miles (10 miles in October)
I've been enjoying my freedom from the watch, but it's time to get more consistent mileage.

5 comments:

Fifty K said...

You must show a pic of ridiculous toe socks when you get them. I hope their really ridiculous as in rainbow colored toes and all!! LOL

You in Cleveland? I'm in Akron.

Nitmos said...

Did you honestly have to tell us that you don't wear socks? Let me guess, you walk around in sandals too. If I get a coupon, I'll send an extra bottle of deodorant your way. Try it.

Tricia said...

Interested to see how you like the toe socks

Anonymous said...

Cold, freezing weather is frequently the equalizer to rebellious behavior. First the Germans on the Russian front in WWII and now the Viper.

Unknown said...

I'm also using Vibram Five Fingers but the model is KSO Treksport. I like the Treksport better than any other models of Vibram Five Fingers because it's a bit thicker and it can tolerate cold weather without the need to wear any shocks. I highly recommend this shoes to everyone. You can read the detailed information here.