Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Now I'm Pissed

Here is a followup to yesterday's review of Flying Dog Raging Bitch. (Yes, Misszippy, it's brewed in Colorado, as well as Maryland. Thanks, Al.) While at the local, overpriced grocer for disparately cheap fancy milk (local, non-homogenized, yum), I decided to check to see if there was a sixer of Raging Bitch. Low and behold, there it was!

The price? $8.99. Eight dollars and ninety-nine cents. Fuck you, Lockview! For an additional $0.99 plus tax more than I spent at the overpriced grilled cheese joint, I could have had five more glasses of this beer.

A Trend?
Gin sent me an e-mail yesterday remarking that she couldn't believe I spent $8 on a single glass of beer. She also sent a link to Stone Brewing Co.'s Cali-Belgique IPA, another Belgian-IPA hybrid like the Flying Dog. Has anyone else noticed these styles out there?

A Quickie
Yesterday was a beautiful day, and I just had to get out there, even if time was tight, which it was, but I just had to run. I laced up the Brooks T6 Racers and bolted out the door for a fast three miles. I was surprised to see my watch read 7:40-something at the first mile-ish. It was mostly down hill until then, but I tried to keep up my speed to see how fast I could run this old route. My legs started to get heavy with a half mile to go as I was climbing up the biggest hill of the run. After making the final turn toward home, I was struggling a bit, but a burst of finishing adrenaline kicked in and charged up my foot turnover. The results were a pleasing 8:02 average mile pace.

Springtime Sickness
Finally, I woke up this morning with a sore throat and body ache. I hate when the weather gets nice and I get stuck with some sort of illness. Boo-hiss!

8 comments:

misszippy said...

Yeah, that is heavy over-pricing! Sorry you are feeling bad, especially with great weather out. But I think that spring has turned a corner, so it will be waiting for you when you are back.

drdave said...

Sure hope your illness gets over faster than mine did. Three friggin weeks now. Really tough to motivate yourself to run when you know you will be hacking up a lung when you are done. Good fun, ya know!

Of course, now the weather sucks anyway. Another tough motivator.

Jess said...

Dang that is a speedy pace. Way to get out there and enjoy the weather.

I took the BF on a tour of Flying Dog for his birthday. It was quite an interesting experience. Plus they let you drink tons of beer for free at the bar afterward.

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Wow, that is some pricey beer. (They must be very proud of it at $8 each.)

Nice run.

Jess said...

That is dang pricey. Is it infused with diamond dust?

Al's CL Reviews said...

I didn't think about it yesterday, but I hope the beer was at least 16 oz. Some places jack up the price and because of high gravity, make the glass smaller.

I hope you feel better.

BrianFlash said...

You're paying for the beer plus the atmosphere. Sometimes its even worth it.

BrianFlash said...

You're paying for the beer plus the atmosphere. The sixer on the couch sometimes is lacking the latter ;)