Friday, January 29, 2010

Flashback Friday: Predictably Out of Shape

A week from today, I'll be posting about my first race--or at least, that's my plan. The Frostbite Prediction Run is Saturday, Feb. 6, and Martini and I will likely be running this for the fourth time in as many years.

I have yet to sign up, but that's about par for the course. I also don't feel very fit, which is also typical. Despite my incredible lack of speed and endurance, this race is still my best shot at actually winning a race this year.

For those of you unschooled in the ways of a prediction run, the winner is not the runner who crosses the line first. Instead, all racers try to predict their finish time before the race and try to match that time without the aid of a timing device. Those of you addicted to your Garmins would have to sit this one out, I presume.

This race has been a 5-K for the past couple years, but I wouldn't put it past those dastardly race directors at the Summit Athletic Running Club to change it up on me without warning like they did two years ago.

I never have high expectations for this race (except to win), but it has always gotten me back into the training season. I hope it will do the same again this year.

Back Talk
Wherein I get revenge for those comments about my poor choice in climate and lack of telecommunications savvy.

Tricia knows not of this cold and winter of which I spoke, nor of this punctuation stuff: "I'm pretty sure 'winter' doesnt exist here in South Florida."

Answer: Great, another Floridian to mock me when it's cold and then whine when it's too hot and humid. This one either loves Cormac McCarthy or doesn't know how to use apostrophes.

Sun Runner is more appalled at my technology deficiencies than she is about the possible permanent damage I may have done to Dobson: "What's this 'no internet at home' stuff? What century do you live in? Or are you secretly Amish and live in Middlefield?"

Answer: Just because I have a beard doesn't mean I'm Amish. But you're not the first to make this joke. It's not that I don't have Internet at home, I just didn't have access to it after work that day. Also, I'm a Luddite.

Happy Hour is nearly upon us, teammates. Have a finely brewed weekend. Run well and drink well. Cheers!

5 comments:

Junk Miler said...

I was so concerned there might be others like you, dragging poor pooches through wintry weather, the wife and I went out and got another one.

Seriously, though, we have three dogs now. What have we done?

Carolina John said...

yea i remember when you ran that prediction run last year and lost. better luck this year.

Sun Runner said...

I certainly did drink well, as I attended the Brewers of Indiana Guild Winterfest in Indianapolis on Saturday. It was completely awesome. I tasted many fine beers from breweries I had never heard of. Standout of the day: Upland Brewing (Bloomington) Winter Warmer Bourbon Barrel-Aged Barleywine. Holy moly.

BrianFlash said...

"I never have high expectations for this race (except to win)..."

That completely SLAYS me. Good luck on your prediction!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Good luck! I drank well this weekend.
More Bell's.