Friday, September 18, 2009

Flashback Friday: Step Up, Step Down

It's almost a sad feeling. This final reporting from the track. Last week, I completed the Yasso 800s cycle. The week before I completed 12 repeats of 400 meters, a plan culled from a Running Times article. The idea last night was high intensity at low intervals. Step up from 400 meters to 1,600 meters (a first) and then step back down. Here is the statistical rundown:
  • Intervals: 2 x 400 meters, 2 x 800 meters, 1 x 1,600 meters
  • Goal pace(s): Sub-1:45, sub-3:35 and sub-7:40, respectively
  • Lap 1: 400 meters, 1:42.44 (6:50 per mile)
  • Lap 2: 800 meters, 3:28.29 (6:58 per mile)
  • Lap 3: 1,600 meters, 7:05.98
  • Lap 4: 800 meters, 3:32.72 (7:06 per mile)
  • Lap 5: 400 meters, 1:37.37 (6:30 per mile)
  • Average pace: 4,000 meters, 17:26.8 (7:01 per mile)
  • Total distance: 5.5 miles
[Drunkard's note: Total distance includes one mile warm up, 400-meter recovery laps and one mile cool down.]

The intervals were just enough to make my legs feel jiggly like Gloop and Gleep. More than anything I worked up an appetite. Thankfully, a Greek festival was happening around the corner from the track. I followed up my track session with a gyro, fried calamari and ouzo on the rocks. It was better than stretching.

Back Talk
Wherein I really wish you people would actually read the words that I don't bother proofreading because then you'd avoid such ridicule.

Funnyrunner
is oh so hilarious with her extremely long comment about my half marathon and then a second comment with her ludicrous marathon advice: "Hey--I agree with Mike A. above. You can start out with 8:30s and stick to 8-minute-mile pace the entire half. You're capable of it ..."

Answer: Can someone please inform Funnyrunner of my marathon goal? I'm shooting for a 9:10 mile pace, lady! Perhaps you could try agreeing with what Mike said a few Flashbacks ago.

Happy Hour is almost upon us, teammates. Have a finely brewed weekend and good luck to all you runners out there. Run well and drink well. Cheers!

9 comments:

Jess said...

Your post track meal sounds like perfect recovery food and drink!

Carolina John said...

have a good weekend viper.

Jess said...

Mmmmm no better way to finish up a track session!

Junk Miler said...

A gyro is definitely appropriate, being Greek and all.

The wife and I will be running a 5k at the Lexington (NC) BBQ festival just so we can study the recuperative effects of pork and hushpuppies.

In the name of science, of course.

Al's CL Reviews said...

The tri will be followed by Kalamazoo Stout and Guinness.

I hope you have a good weekend.

Now I'm thinking about gyros...

Aileen said...

Ouzo is rocket fuel and we all know it. So you're planning a 5K sprint tomorrow, right?

Sun Runner said...

Wasn't that nice of them to provide you with sustenance so close to your workout location!

you rock, dude. :)

BrianFlash said...

Please stay strong to your race plan. I had the epic blowup this weekend - don't let it happen to you!

Ms. V. said...

Hope your weekend was grand. Had to add your feed manually. Missing the Viper!