Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cramming for the Test

I've always been a procrastinator. Deadlines don't scare me until my nose is against one. The fear of failure finally kicks in, and I'm off and running. This is how I was in school. How I am at work. And how I feel now with my marathon training.

I have five weeks before the Akron Marathon. This week and next week are the final mileage buildups before I taper. These runs are crucial. After a couple weeks of ho-hum, my ears hear the ominous sound of dum-dee-dum-dum.

I'm starting to get the fear. I can't miss a beat, or my four-hour marathon will be lost. And maybe it's just because the school year is starting back up again, but I feel like I'm cramming for a big test. I haven't even signed up for the race yet! What am I waiting for?

Ever have those dreams where you forget your locker combination? Are there equivalent dreams for runners? Will I forget how to tie my shoes? Or show up the race naked and have to pin the bib over my privates? Or make a wrong turn and get DQ'd despite a BQ? Or mistakenly arrive drunk?

Is this Pre-taper Mindfuck Syndrome?

9 comments:

S said...

Mistakenly arrive drunk? I could actually see you doing this. :-) Good luck with the Pre-taper Mindfuck Syndrome!

Mike Antonucci said...

"Is this Pre-taper Mindfuck Syndrome?"

Yes.

Trust me, you have the speed. Concentrate on steadiness for your final long runs and IT'S IN THE BAG.

Jen Feeny said...

OMG I am right there with you!!! Last night I had this never ending dream where not only did I show up late to the marathon but I was THE LAST PERSON RUNNING... what follows end up being this crazy run all over the place trying to find the signs to direct me through the route all the while I can't find a soul. I woke up this morning exhausted from my dream! My run this morning ended up being junk miles instead of a Tempo Run. Pre-Taper Mindf*ck Syndrome indeed!

When you crawl your way out of it can you drop me a line and let me know how you managed it?!?!? I'm freaking out over here too!!! Good luck, not that you need it... you frigging rock!

gin hall said...

I saw your pops running down Fairchild last night- As I was debating whether to honk or yell something rude, I also wondered if you ever run with the old man?

gin hall said...

Oh, and you'll be fine! I am hoping we get the Akron cheering section together again for you guys this year. I don't know whether you look forward to the screaming drunkos at Mile 23 or not, but we sure look forward to seeing the look of pain and anguish in the Viper's face as he 'jets' by!

Sun Runner said...

I dreamed I arrived at the starting line for Detroit wearing flip-flops.

I have a little over 8 weeks to go before NYC and I've been in an unmotivated funk for a long time. I haven't done a workout from my actual schedule for a month, I've just been running as far and as fast as I feel at the time. Not good. I need to focus. Even though I have no goal for NYC except to enjoy myself, I would like to be physically capable of finishing the race. Right now I'm not quite there. 8 weeks to go. Time to shut up and get the job done.

Good luck with your big runs this weekend.

BrianFlash said...

Arriving drunk is a mistake? I better remember that for the 5K this weekend...

Unknown said...

I hate cramming for anything. As far as I can see, I had weird dream about running. I had a dream not too long ago that it feels like running in the sea of peanut butter. Hard to move that legs but I have tried to use my arms to propel myself. I hate it.

Jess said...

So are you having "test" nightmares yet?