Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Again to Akron

Now that I have the Summer Solstice Challenge out of my system (long day + long run = long post), I can focus on my main goals for the year: breaking 50 minutes in the 10K and 4 hours in the marathon. And along the way, I'll take another crack at breaking 1 hour, 50 minutes in the half marathon.

First up is the 10K, my annual return to my hometown race over July 4th weekend. It's a tad late to do much special preparation with the race just 11 days away. However, I'm worried about my speed. I haven't done any speed work outside of sprinting to the neighborhood pub since before Cleveland. Will that be enough for an 8:19 mile pace?

The Akron Marathon is Sept. 27. I'm still tinkering with my training schedule, but I'm feeling pretty confident with my base so far. Knocking out a 26.34-mile run Saturday without enough training, while not my goal distance, stroked my marathon ego. I know the distance better and I know the course. I just have to put in the work and stick to my strategy. What strategy, I don't know yet.

A few weeks before Akron is the Buckeye Half Marathon, which kicked my ass last year. I didn't taper whatsoever for the race because I considered it part of my marathon training. This year I plan to do a mini taper in the effort to run stronger -- and hopefully in less than an hour and 50 minutes. I also have a verbal commitment from my BQ friend to lead the 1:50 pace group.

Viper Debunked!
Good news for Booze Hounds everywhere! One of my cockamamie theories has been officially debunked.

Since I got somewhat serious about racing I have believed in a pre-race detox plan, which was usually a weeklong sufferfest of moderate sobriety. However, the good Dr. Scott Powers says I've been doubling my trouble.

"Cessation of alcohol consumption 48 hours prior to a race should provide adequate time for rehydration," says Powers, a University of Florida professor. That's good because I really don't foresee me not drinking to celebrate the four-day work week next Thursday.

I'm not sure I foresee me not drinking that Friday too, but that's another story.

9 comments:

Ian said...

I've always detoxed (is that a word?) for 48 hours prior to a race but I don't think I ever knew where I got that number. Turns out I've been right all along, but I wouldn't have expected anything less.

Sun Runner said...

I've always gone with the old adage "If the pee is clear, have no fear." Clear, colorless pee means I'm adequately hydrated no matter how much I drank the night before a race. See my personal record-shattering performance of this past Sunday. Although I admit it's kind of hard to discern the color of one's pee when said pee is commingling with other unmentionables in the blue-liquid-tinged bowels of a race venue port-a-potty. Good thing I checked the pee status in my parents' white toilet before I left. The coast was "clear." All systems go for launch to a new PR.

TMI? Possibly.

Laura said...

I will put this rule to the test this weekend. Drinkathon Friday night, marathon Sunday morning (that's ~30 hours before). Hopefully a new standard will be set.

C said...

Glad you found out your theory was wrong. Wait a minute...

I look forward to the creation & subsequent unveiling of your marathon training program. I'm having a good time reading up on the pain everyone is setting themselves up for over the next few months. Who knows, maybe that'll be me in a couple of years.

Razz said...

what is this "detox" you speak of?

chia said...

I instantly want a beer.

C said...

Re: comment on Marcy's post--Thanks for the (generous?) sentiment, but I need to earn one on my own. I might have to bitch-slap some Brits to make it happen, but it WILL happen. I'm stubborn like that.

P.O.M. said...

I pretty much only detox for 24 hours before. It works for me.

Nitmos said...

So how long and far did you search to find an article supporting your desire to reduce your detox to 48 hours? Issue a "study" yourself if it suits your needs.