Monday, February 18, 2008

F is for February

The cliche is if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes and it will change. The past three days in Northeast Ohio are why that statement exists.

This weekend provided a reprieve from all the weather I've been complaining about. Saturday was relatively calm, but cold at 30 degrees. Ice was still on the ground, but I avoided most of it by running mostly on the road. Sunday, I ran in shorts and felt overdressed for the 50-degree heatwave, which melted all the snow and ice and created an obstacle course of lake-size puddles and mudholes. I somehow managed to squeeze my run into the blue skies between the torrents of rain and wind. Today, I look outside and it is snowing sideways. Luckily, today is a rest day.

Start of Training
I've been contemplating my racing schedule for the next few months. I'm just not into committing to anything right now. I know my next race will likely be a 15K around St. Pat's Day. I plan to run the Akron Marathon again in September. Aside from that, I'm pretty undecided. However, during Friday Happy Hour, Martini and I rehashed the Summer Solstice Challenge.

June 21 marks the first day of summer. It also happens to be a Saturday. To celebrate the longest day of the year, we thought we'd run our longest run ever. The goal is this ...



... the northern leg of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail from our nearest parking area to the start of the trail near Cleveland. [Drunkard note: you can read more about the route by linking to my training log at right.] I figure it will take anywhere from eight to 12 hours, depending on time of death.

This dumbfuck brilliant plan will require that I consider many more factors than proper hydration. I'll need to eat on the run, carry more supplies than just my keys and have an emergency plan if I get hurt or need a ride home. And there are probably a whole bunch of other things that I haven't imagined.

So, from here on out, I'm training to run 40 miles. I will be sure to draw up a will before I set out.

Booze News
This was up awhile ago. But guess what? Runner's World says beer is good for runners. Wine is too. Those who have been reading this site already know that.
The malt and hops used to make dark beers contain flavonoids, the same heart-healthy compounds in vegetables and wine that counter cell damage, thus reducing your risk of heart disease and cancer. Beer also contains B vitamins and chromium, which aid in converting carbohydrates to energy.
Booze also relieves pain and improves confidence. Run well, drink well.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Okay, wow. I am nervous at training for a marathon... and you're going to run an ultra? GOOD LUCK! And make sure you have lots of beer at the finish :)

B. Kramer said...

No, no, this isn't an ultra. That sounds too organized. Unless you mean an ultra-fun run!

/punches self in the face

P.S., don't worry. That start/end is less than a mile from several watering holes.

Unknown said...

I think it sounds awesome to take this kind of challenge. I have a brilliant idea for you. You know how St. Bernard carry the keg around the neck. You might want to get one for yourself and strap the keg around your neck for the long run.

http://www.sover.net/~newfvt/oakinfo.html