Monday, January 28, 2008

Team Booze Hounds Inc. 101

Thanks to everyone who wished me a happy 100th post. Now we face a paradigm shift in this post 100 posts world. A reboot of sorts. Version 2.0 of boozing and running. Welcome to your primer for what the Booze Hounds Running Team will be in this new epoch!

Teammates, raise your glasses! Double knot your shoes! Here we go!

What do you have to look forward to in this new age of Team BHI? Well, more drinking and running of course. Did you honestly think otherwise? We're just going do it better.

I caught a glimpse of my drop-dead sexy legs yesterday--in other words, I looked down while I was in the shower--and realized how much running has changed my body. In his new book, Strides, Benjamin Cheever writes about how running changes your physiology. Your legs become leaner, your knees sturdier, your calves more prominent. True, and quite frankly you could also bounce a quarter off my ass.

But all self ogling aside, I realized that I am in far better shape now than I was in high school when I played ice hockey on the varsity team. In the time since I have weathered plenty of unmeasured boozing, smoked for almost 10 years and engaged in various other idiotic things a man will do to the detriment of his health. After all this, I am yet a better specimen of the man I was. This must be how a fine Scotch feels. Sure, I was good then and better now, but just imagine if you give me another couple years of careful aging.

For some reason on my drive to work this morning, this idea popped into my head: I'm going to live to be 110 years old. And as long as I keep improving over those decades to come, that's OK by me. I just hope my liver is up to the task.

So, this is my challenge: To continue becoming better. A better runner, a better drinker, a better person. This is not a challenge against you, teammates. But if you wish to join me, it is a challenge with you.

Cheers!

[Drunkard note: Image ripped from Despair, Inc.]

2 comments:

Ian said...

You sir, are an inspiration.

It's high time I become a better drinker and a better runner, although I'm not sure if I could get much better as a person than I already am. I'm with you.

Anonymous said...

Great work.