Monday, August 27, 2007

Heaven Sent

I'm not much for religion, but I'm thanking whichever higher powers are out there for the most brilliant invention in the market of mobile hydration. Most runners are hooked on those energy gels like GU, but Pocket Shots blow those lame body boosters out of the water. Hailed as "perfect for marathon drinkers [and] drinking marathoners," these palm sized shooters are a must for the aspiring Team Booze Hound Inc. runner.

In the Books
I finally fit that 20-miler in, yesterday. It took me 3 hours, 38 minutes and 2 seconds. I'm wearing an Ace bandage on my knee today. The inside of my left knee is sore from the pounding. I felt a similar pain on Thursday's eight-mile night-time trek over the woods and through the hills. The pain came during the return trip of the out-and-back and forced me to walk for a couple minutes, but I ran through it. This pain arrived this morning. Hopefully, it's just from the beating and not an injury.

More in Energy Booze
In the ongoing saga of the assault on caffeine-infused malt beverages, several state attorneys general have petitioned the federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau to investigate beverages such as Sparks and Bud Extra for being marketed toward underage drinkers.
"Nonalcoholic energy drinks are very popular with today's youth," Oregon Attorney General Hardy Myers said. "Beverage companies are unconscionably appealing to young drinkers with claims about the stimulating properties of alcoholic energy drinks."
I'd say energy drinks--and caffeine in general--are popular with today's public overall. Have you noticed that Starbucks place that moved into your home town and displaced the locally owned breakfast counter? And claims about stimulating properties of alcoholic energy drinks? My word, you're right! We better put the brakes on this right away. Hey, I know, let's regulate everything and change it from the United States of America to the United States of No Fun.

No comments: