Friday, August 3, 2012

Flashback Friday: If Not, Then What?

This is me wrestling with the prospect of no marathon this year. The writing is on the wall, but my eyes won't read the message just yet.

Many of you left insightful advice in the comments section of Wednesday's post, suggesting I bail on the Akron Marathon. One of you tried to goad me to "get out there and fuckin' run, dude."

I thought about putting together a pro vs. con list of running this race, but really it's a matter of, pro, I keep my streak alive and, con, I don't. 

All other variables, like injury, sense of satisfaction, proving some kind of point about achievement, etc., are relative.

I could have an awful time or I could have an awesome time. I could get hurt or I could suffer normal post-marathon pain. Hell, I could die. But "could" isn't reality.

What's so important about keeping this streak alive? Many of you have expressed that I should do the marathon with low mileage training. I did that last year. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't the most fun I've had. What's the point of spending $100 to experience five hours of running just for the sake of pride?

The reality is I'm not in marathon shape, nor am I on my way to getting there. But if I don't run the Akron Marathon, then what?

Do I pack it in?

Do I target another race?

What is my running goal for the rest of the year?

Looking back at my goal post for this year, I'm not even sure what I hoped to achieve. Goals, objectives, general, specific, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I wanted to set PRs. So far, that hasn't happened. That trend isn't about to change with the Akron Marathon. My two running related goals were to log 1,000 miles and run a race barefoot.

To reach 1,000 miles this year, I need to run 680 miles, which breaks down to 136 miles per month, which is hilariously unattainable at this point.

I could still train to run a race barefoot. My last two barefoot runs were on trails, which could be good preparation to try a local trail race without shoes.

My third goal was to purge excess running clothes. Anybody want some shoes? If you wear size 11.5 running shoes and have been interested in trying Vibram FiveFingers KSOs, Mizuno Wave Universe 4, Altra Adams or Altra Samsons, let me know. We can work out a deal.

I'm still uncertain about my Akron Marathon status. As long as space remains, it'll be an option. I told Mrs. Viper if I ran the marathon, my only goal would be to finish having drank a beer on course. I could also run one of the other events, like the five-person relay.

Back Talk?
This whole post is a Back Talk

Happy Hour is nearly upon us, teammates! Have a finely brewed weekend. Run well and drink well. Cheers!

2 comments:

Jess said...

You're over thinking it. If the race were tomorrow, would you be excited or would you be dreading it? Answering that will be your decision, which I think you already know.

And having a decision will feel much better than waffling back and forth. At least, for me, I always find indecision far more stressful than simply making a choice.

B. Jarosz said...

There's a relay option? Then why are we even having this backtalk?

I think your challenge now is to find 4 others to run with you (or <4 and change into different mustache/sunglasses combinations and run more than 1 leg of the course).