Thursday, August 23, 2012

Boozy Book Club No. 1

The past couple months have included blog updates about my reading list, and so now we're making it an official semi-regular feature. In case you need to catch up, here are the updates from June and July.

These posts will review what books I've been reading and highlight the best of my weekly comic book purchases. The comments will be a live conversation on what you are reading or what you think of my choices.

As mentioned before, my book list this year focuses on the Civil War. Since last month's update, I've logged another 150 pages of Battle Cry of Freedom and started Red Badge of Courage.

Battle Cry of Freedom
Author: James McPherson
Genre: History
Status: 307 pages in
Notes: War has begun. The lead-up to fall of Fort Sumter was a complex mishmash of political grandstanding. The election of Abraham Lincoln was almost a miracle.

Red Badge of Courage
Author: Stephen Crane
Genre: Fiction
Status: 75 pages in
Notes: Henry Fleming goes to war with grand dreams of glory, but finds reality a bit more terrifying. He has seen his first action, and lit off into the backwoods. Now he has returned to his battalion, lying about how he got the wound to his head.

Because I buy multiple comics per week, it would be too much to recap every single issue I've read. Instead, I'll give you two highlights and a tidbit or two about new pickups or what I'm looking forward to in the next month or so.

Saga
Issue: 6
Writer: Bryan K. Vaughn
Artist: Fiona Staples
Publisher: Image
Notes: This clever story and innovative layout ranks among my favorite discoveries since getting back into comics over the last couple months. The story is of a family borne of war and the people trying to kill them.

Harvest
Issue: 1
Writer: A.J. Lieberman
Artist: Colin Lorimer
Publisher: Image
Notes: Holy pooped pants! The premise is black market organ trafficking, and the story focuses on a blackballed doctor who gets recruited to perform the surgeries. The art is excellent and the story is chilling. It reminds me of the beginning of Kiss Me, Judas by Will Christopher Baer.

After a recent light week at my local comic store, I ordered some back issues from MyComicShop.com. Arriving in time for New Comic Book Day, the shipment completed my collection of Zero Girl: Full Circle (needed No. 3), the current Shadow series (needed No. 2) and the new Batman Inc. (needed No. 1 and picked up No. 3 yesterday). In addition, I ordered iZombie 1-5, having picked up the last two issues of the now-canceled series. I also followed Kungpow12's recent recommendation to pick up The Manhattan Projects and am looking to catch up with that series in the next month or so.

If you're interested and if you're industrious enough, you can follow my reading on Goodreads and iFanboy. What's on your reading list?

2 comments:

David said...

I'm really old, but motivated to get (re)started with comics after finally watching all of "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" on Netflix and not wanting the story to end - seasons 8. 9 and 10 are available as comic books - so Woo Hoo!

I look forward to your new feature.

B. Kramer said...

You won't regret it. It's pretty cool Joss Whedon continued the story into comic books. The trades are pretty cheap on Amazon. You can probably catch up with Season 9, from the looks of it, and a miniseries "Spike" just started. Let us know how it goes.