Monday, June 25, 2012

Failure: I Don't Want to Talk About It

Perhaps I've inadvertently stumbled upon a masterful training regimen: two weeks on, two weeks off. At least, that's been my pattern of late.

It's too early to hit the bright orange PANIC button, as the Akron Marathon is still a solid three months away. But there's a definite hole being dug at Team Booze Hounds.

Everything goes fine until the weekend, it seems. A mix of busyness and laziness prevails over the want of running. This weekend, it was a wedding.

My body was sore Saturday after a solid run-plus-par course on Friday. That morning Mrs. Viper and I took Dobson on a grueling 1.5-mile walk on the Towpath on another pleasant summer day.

Grueling for Dobson mostly, as he dragged me between shady spots and needed a panting break on our way back to the car. But also grueling for my feet, as I walked on the pebble-ridden crushed limestone path with bare soles.

The evening was spent standing or dancing in dress shoes at the outdoor wedding. The wife and I were both drained afterward, as she had just come off a long work week of standing on already sore feet. Sunday's biblically prescribed day of  rest seemed more apropos than embarking on a 10-mile run.

My training schedule keeps getting pushed back. One of these days, I'll need to catch up. Today is not that day.

2 comments:

David said...

All this distraction is temporary. In my case, it only lasted from 1986 to 2008 (marriage, dissertation, three kids, business start-up). Now I'm back to being focused on the important things in life - like running.

Jess said...

It's interval training, applied to the entire plan, that's all! :)