Friday, April 13, 2012

Flashback Friday: Return to Slow

So these burpees that are all the rage right now? Yeah, those are fun. While waiting for Dobson to stop enjoying the temperate spring day and come back inside and let me go run, it seemed like a good idea to try this goofy workout and see why they've become so popular.

What, you do a push-up and then hop, right? Easy. So easy, in fact, that five were plenty and resulted in my being fine with Dobson's lying outside in the grass while my hearty rate subsided and my lungs caught some air. My plan was an easy three-mile run -- emphasis on easy.

Exchange Street pulled me down toward Mull Avenue like the ebb of the tide. Turning onto Mull, my legs flowed up the hill. The hill? What hill? It's just a slope.

Instinct said to push upwards, which required some reining in to maintain the loose effort. Take what the terrain gives you. That was my mantra. Just keep it easy.

The easiness of the run gave way to secret effort by the time I reached Market and Portage Path. Despite remaining loose on the incline through Highland Square, a stretch where I normally sprint, my lungs were burning for oxygen. Perhaps that wasn't as easy as it was supposed to be.

Upon returning home, the magical pace tracker confirmed my overall easiness with 10:23 per mile. A full week between runs is likely the bigger culprit than running easy.

Back Talk
Wherein we admit to running less minimally than advertised ...

Nitmos called me out on my adding a vest to my growing running wardrobe: "Look at you with your protective vests and fanny packs! Is there a road ID somewhere in there as well? You now carry more gear above the waist then you do below."

Answer: The Road ID usually stays in my winter vest pocket, but I've had thoughts of securing in my waist purse. If get some really short shorts and commit to this barefoot thing, I could end up looking like a Shel Silverstein character.

Happy Hour is nearly upon us, teammates! Have finely brewed weekend. Run well and drink well. Cheers!

2 comments:

misszippy said...

Hungry Mungry would not be a good one to emulate, thank you!

Yeah, burpees are ridiculously hard. No 100 burpee challenges for me!

Nitmos said...

And you could read my prior comment as a double entendre as well.

Yeah, don't get too top heavy (and <- look, another double entendre).

Have a nice 'running weather' weekend!