Thursday, September 15, 2011

Looking Beyond the Marathon

My running has been off kilter all year--until now. Despite missing some runs last week, my mojo seems to have returned after my last long run on the Buckeye Trail, which was also my first run in the Altra Adams. Had I a few more weeks to get ready for the Akron Marathon, I believe I could make a real push for a PR. But, as my high school art teacher always said of missed opportunities, "Shoulda, woulda, coulda."

With the weather cooling, running is becoming more enjoyable. Heat and humidity aren't oppressing the miles like a lead blanket. My legs feel pretty fresh, and I'm looking forward to the running for the remainder of the year.

The Enthusiast asked me the other day how I'd feel about running a short run with her soon. Fall is when my new bride gets interested again in running. We're planning a three-mile run Sunday, as I wind down my taper for the marathon.

My training cycle has done at least one thing well, and that is getting me motivated to run more. However, I have nothing beyond the Saturday after next. I'd like to say I will run just for the enjoyment of running for the next few months, but I know better. Training keeps me motivated.

This year I've added quite a bit more trail running to my routine. Many of my longer runs have been conducted on the Buckeye Trail or within the trail systems of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the Summit County Metro Parks. However, despite my increased activity on these more technical terrains, I have yet to run a trail race.

During last night's group run, one of my coworkers mentioned the Salt Fork 10 Mile Trail Challenge, Dec. 3, in Cambridge, Ohio, just east of Columbus. Everything I read about trail races leads me to believe that the events cater more to my kind of people. For instance, like other trail events, the Salt Fork race gives finishers a pint glass.

There is also my continued efforts to become more skilled as a barefoot runner. Going shoeless has taken a bit of a back seat since receiving my new shoes, as I am trying to break them in for the marathon, which is now just nine days away.

The point is that the Akron Marathon won't be the end of the running season for me this year. There are plenty of miles yet covered and plenty of time left to run them.

4 comments:

The Salty One said...

CONGRATS on the marriage and good luck in Akron!!! I'll be there anchoring a relay. I'll be wearing the fluorescent brooks jersey so hollah if you see me!

JojaJogger said...

First, congratulations on the nuptials!! The reason I like trail runs and/or ultras is that most of them are put on by runners for runners. Not put on by corporations only interested in profit.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your high school art teacher is a real sage.

Nitmos said...

Your art teacher is more informative than my mentor. He just had a goofy look on his face and said "wocka wocka wocka" all the time.