Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Just Making the Long Runs

Adherence to my training schedule has suddenly gone to heck in a fanny pack. Last week's plan called for an 8-miler that never happened, and I haven't run this week yet. With the wedding Saturday, there isn't much time to spare.

Friday morning, the Martini is joining me for my only 20-miler of this training cycle. My mantra for the Akron Marathon is "survive." My plan also calls for 10-mile run tomorrow, and then I was supposed to fit in two other short runs that may not make the cut.

At this point, I'm just hoping to complete my long runs. This is already destined to be an ugly race timewise, but that doesn't mean it has to be an ugly time. If I ran only for the clock, I'd just be a glutton for punishment.

Over the past couple years, I've made a concerted effort to focus on having fun despite my finish time. That's not too hard when you set PRs in the process. The challenge of having fun while running my slowest race time will be much harder to overcome.

I can't deny my competitive spirit, but I've learned that speed is relative. Fast for me, isn't necessarily fast for you. And fast last year was faster than 2009. All I can do is strive to run my fastest for 2011. And if I can do that and have a smile on my face after the race, then we'll call that success.

4 comments:

Nitmos said...

It would seem - with such bigger events ahead - that having fun and finishing should be your only goals. Enjoy! Take the pressure off and just enjoy a nice long, pre-wedding run. There are other years/other races ahead.

Anonymous said...

My slowest marathon was also the most fun - of course I was running it with Lady J.

I say run for the beer - take your time and make sure you are in good enough health to hoist am adult beverage in celebration at the end.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Don't worry about the runs. Just drink a lot. It makes all other things/people tolerable.

Jess said...

Planning a wedding and training for a marathon at the same time is pretty daunting! One has to take precedence over the other -- I'm sure your bride will appreciate your full attention on the wedding and only partial attention to the marathon!