You all know how I've been chasing the four-hour marathon since, well, forever. I was kicking my training's ass up until the Buckeye Half Marathon, and then procrastination took over. I've run a grand total of four times since the race. Now, I feel like my undergrad self, writing a 14-page essay the night before it's due.
My training no longer rewarded me enough to bother, and B.B. King sang, "The thrill is gone." And besides I already have a shiny new PR and it's taper time. My motivation cares not for the satisfaction of a job well done. It's time for a change.
The Marathon Mama hit the donkey square on the ass with her tale about the merits of extrinsic motivation. Sometimes those intrinsic rewards aren't enough to make you give a shit about your performance. I need more tangible motivation.
Here are 10 motivators for me to run under four hours at the Akron Marathon:
- There will be
- And I don't mean Michelob ULTRA
- ULTRA what, exactly, I don't know
- There also might be blood
- But that's not very motivating
- Totally going to eat some kick-ass food
- Last year, it was at Moe's
- Wouldn't mind a repeat
- Finally, finally, you can stop hearing about it
- I'm totally gonna buy me some Old Time records
What else you got?