Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Not as Fast as Hoped

My little tuneup for the Buckeye Half Marathon this morning didn't quite knock my doors off. Martini and I met up at Sand Run for a sixer before the sun said, let there be light. My legs felt creaky and slow for the first couple miles as the weight of Sunday's 20-miler dropped from my muscles.

I usually like to push the first three miles because it's so easy to log a negative split on the Sand Run path. Martini and I reached our turnaround averaging between 8:30 and 9:00 miles. I was hoping for something more like my goal pace for this Sunday's race. These times were more like marathon pace.

As predicted we picked up the pace on the way back with a couple miles below 8:00. My morning bowel movement introduced itself with a rumble and a fart as our pace slowed during the last mile.

For better or worse that was my last hard run before the race. I have a few easy runs left, but I'll be holding myself back to save my legs for the half marathon PR I'm about to set.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just getting the less than stellar runs out of the way - fabulous strategy!

Andrew Opala said...

stellar run for me but I guess you have more awesomeness in you ... and I don't mean the rumblings ... even though some people are awesome there too! LOL

BrianFlash said...

You definitely are ready - no sense burning out right before the race.

Your strategy is sound. Remember Bubka! Set the PR but not by much.

Nitmos said...

May your race run farts be corn free! Rock on!

Sun Runner said...

I'm amazed you don't Take Care of Business before leaving to run. Clearing the pipes is almost as important as putting on my shoes. If I forget (rarely) or can't, I know I'm in for trouble later, which is why I have memorized the location of several emergency port-a-potties along my regular routes.

Good luck with the rest of the week!

Jess said...

TMI on the bowels.

misszippy said...

It's called tapering...it makes you feel bad and messes with your head. But it will all be ok come race day.

Robin said...

Can't wait to read that you kicked some serious buckeye HM arse! Sending PR thoughts your way!