Monday, June 7, 2010

Ramped Up and Feeling Good

My first week of marathon training went well. I felt a couple twinges in my hip flexors over the weekend as I was logging my five-mile race pace run on Saturday and my 10-miler on Sunday, but today everything feels fine. A short nap on Sunday was the most refreshing nap ever, period.

Voila! 25 miles, my highest weekly total of the year.

Here's how Week 1 went down:
  • Last Monday accounted for my speed work, with the Tallmadge Memorial 5-K.
  • Tuesday was a two-mile recovery run with the Enthusiast as she kicked off her first week of half marathon training, which she wrapped up yesterday with a tough three-miler.
  • Thursday, was a brutally humid and sluggish jaunt down big Memorial Hill and a sweaty slog back up.
  • I was worried that my weekend runs would be rougher than they were after that hill, but my legs felt loose and ready go Saturday morning, and I had to slow myself down during Sunday's long run.
  • The 10-miler only got tough in the last two miles when I had to dig deep to keep up my pace, which was encouraging.
After my nap, I was all ready to go play some banjo.



[Drunkard's note: I'm not the banjo player you can see.]

7 comments:

Jess said...

Definitely a solid first week of training! Nice job stepping it up!

Jamoosh said...

Thank you for the "drunkards" note - thought this might end up being an alcohol free post...

Morgan said...

Solid Week 1 of Training! Great job to both of you! Love the Banjo clip thanks for including!

barefootjosh said...

Fuck Deliverance to hell. The banjo kicks ass.

Xenia said...

The video was cool though I'm a bit surprised to find out you're in a band. I had pegged you as 'does not play well with others'. Learn something new every day.

Viper said...

It's all part of my self-improvement program.

X-Country2 said...

Here's hoping you have many many more good training weeks.