Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Stench of Spring

Since I've already had almost a full week of Spring-like weather, I figure it's about time I complained about it.

Although there are still some small patches of snow here and there, there is a lot more green to be seen. The temperatures have been in the high 40s to low 60s. The thaw has brought back the smell of vegetation, but along with it has come the stink of fresh roadkill.

Yes, it seems the skunks and raccoons have Spring Fever. They're double-dog daring each other to scramble across the road to see who can be the first to prove Charles Darwin was correct. It appears that none of these local critters are fit enough to survive.

Aw, Spring. Blue skies, temperate weather, and the distinct odor of decomposition.

13 comments:

EZEthan said...

That's funny. I was thinking the same thing as I nearly passed out during my run last week while holding my breath to avoid breathing in the toxic stench of airborn roadkill particles... Still better than the stench of B.O. at my poorly ventilated gym though.

The Sean said...

I think this is baby-making season for the critters. Somehow our network of roads does not deter them???

S said...

Ahh...I guess it's the smell of decomposition giving me my asthma attacks everytime I try to go outside. Good to know!

chia said...

Oh midwestern spring... how I miss the unveiling of all the trash and decay once hidden by winter's blanket.

Congrats on the awesome weather though, that's pretty cool.

Nitmos said...

Is it always spring in Ohio cuz....?

Jess said...

Hahah glad to see that you're enjoying the warmer weather!

Ms. V. said...

yay spring!!

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

The worst here in warm and sunny Florida is being out on a run and passing a decomposing animal body. YUCK!
Q: How long can one hold their breath while running past a stinky corpse?
A: Not sure, haven't passed out yet.

drdave said...

I hear you. I live in an area that boasts one of the highest car-deer accident rates in the country. You literally cannot run a mile without seeing and smelling one to two deer carcass'. Really nice in the heat of the summer too. Not even traveling at break neck speed on my bike, can I avoid the "ugh...that was nice".

Jess said...

Gross.

Funnyrunner said...

hee hee. I can't say I've ever noticed a roadkill essence. I'll have to be aware on my next run. lol. Don't worry, though. This is just a tease. We're sure to get another blizzard in March, just like '93. What a winter. oy vey.

Carolina John said...

at least you aren't out in the country. i've done 3 trips on an out and back with half a deer carcass in the middle of the road before. ugh, by the 4th time i passed it i thought i was going to puke.

Aileen said...

Ewwwwwwwwww...just...ew.