Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Stop Actively Rocking My Boat

The Viper has a bit of an obsession with consistency. I like to be able to count on people, places and things staying more or less the same.

My sense of home is a house and hometown that have barely changed in my 28 years. Part my job in the publishing world is make sure language and style remain consistent. The character trait I value most is loyalty, which is a kind of consistency. Consistency gives me a comfortable framework through which to understand an otherwise ever changing lifescape.

So I feel umbrage when something I've come to rely on drastically changes. I feel betrayed when a formerly easy task bogs down with rampant inefficiency. Gentle readers, all I want to do is log my seven-mile run in my online training log. However, CoolRunning.com has merged with Active.com to create a new and improved pain in my ass.

Instead of entering one screen to add a day's workout, I now have to navigate through two Web pages to create the workout and then I have to mark it as complete through another set of pages. This is not necessary.

Moreover, it doesn't appear that I can graph my running for more than a month. Before, I could do the whole year. And I have to wait for all my old data to transfer over from the old site.

The folks at Active.com better right this shit ship before I jump over starboard. My two years of loyalty are in seriously murky water and I'm ready to point this bow toward safer harbors.

[Drunkard's note: I also have a bit of an obsession with shittalk shiptalk.]

3 comments:

Ian said...

I use the training log over at Runners World. You can use the same login as you use to access the forums over there.

Anonymous said...

I've got the same peeves about this. Its HORRID!

I opened me an account with training peaks today. At least now I get to log things without having to jump all over the place and hitting errors all the time.

Laura said...

I've never used an online running log... I keep mine on an Excel spreadsheet that's all snazzy and formulaic and automatic. Let me know if you find a good one though - it'd be fun to check it out.