Friday, October 12, 2007

Ow! Quite It ... Ow! Quit It ... Ow! Quit It ...

It's clear to me now that I am totally PMS-ing (thanks to the Runners' Lounge for the link). And now I'm pretty sure I won't be getting back to my routine or entering another race very soon. It's been about two weeks since I finished my first marathon (13 days, 15 minutes, 37 seconds and counting) and I have run less than seven miles. Each of those three runs has resulted in hip pain. I'm sure there's some advice for rookies to explain this. Something like, Don't run for a while, dummy! It doesn't hurt that bad. It's just a small limp. I'm fine. I just ran a marathon! Surely, I can go out for a short three miles. Last night, as I was tip-toeing up a mean hill, I was playing The Weakest Link with my anatomy. I have it narrowed down to the Iliopsoas, Sartorius or Inguinal Ligament -- basically, the hip flexors (click image). As soon as I zero in on the saboteur, it will be voted off my body. You are the weakest link, goodbye! My doctor says it might be bursitis. I guess, in the mean time I'll recover with ice, naproxen sodium, booze and baseball playoffs (go Cleveland!), as I mow down some cheesy poofs and Circus Peanuts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the touch of the circus peanuts - that does cure all things evil and puts enough sugar in your body to think you can do anything!

Don't forget a whole lot of stretching for that hip - my hip is my evil, evil body part and I find stretching and strength training is helping it alot. Oh yeah - and when I don't run. That piece I tend to forget alot.